Saturday, January 28, 2012

UST’s Neo-Centennial Celebration!



Capping off the Quadricentennial celebration of the oldest University in Asia, UST surely made this ending a beginning of the next 100 years to come for the Royal, Pontifical and Catholic University in the Philippines. A “Neo-centennial” theme was set to see the coming of the 401st year of the university. It’s a week long celebration that showcased a lot about the history and life of UST. Throughout the week, several activities were lined up (photo-exhibit, lectures, procession, fair, etc.) for everyone. Last Jan. 25, the Thomasian community time travelled to the past as the campus transforms back in the 19th century. Dubbed as “Velada Tomasina”, the Thomasian community went to UST donning period costume while strolling around Benavides Park/Lover’s Lane, which became “Ciudad Santo Tomas”, that was transformed to get the feel of the old UST campus when it was still situated in Intramuros.

I didn’t get to go to school that day so I just witnessed everything through photos and tweets. What a regret! Credits to the owners of these awesome photos!




UST guards also on their period costumes! (CTTO)





Kalesas were even present around the campus! (CTTO)



 

And then last night was the final part and the closing of the year long Quadri celebration. And this is, by far, one of the best nights I had as a Thomasian! Good thing I went or else I will miss all the fun and regret it for the rest of my life! haha!

The happenings for that day started as early as 8am. We only went back to UST past 6pm after watching “Tahanan” at SM Manila (which I think I would blog about in my next post). We arrived just in time before the 40,000 voices started (where 4k+ Thomasians will sing songs altogether). We weren’t officially a part of it so we just searched for a spot to settle in while waiting for the fireworks.

And the last two songs: "Ako'y Isang Tomasino" and the "UST Hymn"




And a few minutes more, the countdown begins for the most awaited Pyromusical! Amateur videos can also be seen on Youtube, if you want to hear the live and loud cheer of the spectators. =]

The most unforgettable Pyromusical, ever! I was in awe and out of breath, literally. haha! I was already wondering where the fireworks will come out because I saw a lot SLRs already facing the Main Building but some where also near the arch. But guess what, it’s all over the campus (as in literally! LOL) So we were standing at Lover’s Lane as the countdown started. We were facing the stage/field because it usually starts there. But then, when the Pyromusical started the fireworks were out of sight. Just to know, from the screen, that it’s already bursting up in front of the Arch of the Centuries! So the people, at Lover’s Lane at least, started running to the middle pathway because the trees were obstructing our sight. It was adrenaline rush! I also started to tag one of my friends because I think I might get lost because we all scattered in different directions while running. haha!! It was so inexplicable! The wonderful lights bursting along with the beat of the music. And the music… super goosebumps. Classy. Perfect. And a few seconds after the end of the fireworks at the Arch, burst of lights started popping out at the top of the Main Building! And all heads turned around and up the cross! This is the moment you just won't ever forget. And after that enchanting array of lights, moments later, the music changed to an upbeat tune of Adele’s “Rolling in the deep”. And we all found ourselves running (again) towards the open field as the fireworks lit up and above the stage AND the UST church! The music stopped (techincal problem?) in the middle of the show but redeemed itself seconds after. After a dramatic vibe there at the Arch and Main Building, here comes something to hype up the crowd. Very nice! Ikaw na talaga USTe! =] And then it was followed by Yellowcard’s “Yellow”. The dancing shots of light! Woah! Galing! *speechless* And the finale. *speechless again* GOOSEBUMPS. I LOVE UST! =] The songs Rolling in the deep and Yellow would forever be close to my heart from now on. A lot of running and a lot more FUN. A very memorable night, indeed. I remember being annoyed with fireworks because of the very loud noise it brings but being a Thomasian changed everything. Awww… Now, I’m looking forward for our Baccalaureate Mass this year. Gonna study hard! =]

And these were the moments I wish I had a tripod. =[ I tried improvising by using my friend’s shoulder. And nothing worth posting came out. Lol. So CREDITS AGAIN TO THE OWNERS OF THESE AMAZING PHOTOS.







And after that ever most amazing Pyromusical display, it’s time for Fiesta! Heaps of Lechon: Baboy, Chicken and Baka were served for everyone.

IMG_3326

IMG_3331

Picnic at Lover’s Lane with my ”block mates” forever. One of the best days in my college life. A variety show was held as the wonderful night continues. Thomasian talents and celebrity performers were there to perform throughout the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Ideas? Suggestion? Let's talk! :)